Saturday, November 25, 2006

6, place de la Madeleine-Paris


If I lived as a Duke in Burgundy, my friends would be leaving my house with a gift barrel of mustard......no fooling, this was one way to make sure your party guests hit the road quickly! ( I wouldn't even know where to find a barrel, let alone enough mustard to fill anything!) However, I can lead you to fill your own jar at this wonderful store in Paris.... Maille, the little store very near the Madeleine Church and metro. French mustards need wines or what they refer to as verjuice (the juice of sour grapes), and often wine itself to develope the flavors in mustards that vary from region to region. The most popular mustard manufacturers-Maille, Poupon, and the others, all carry top secret recipes and they are part of the appellation controlee which regulates standards of production. Most of us have eaten Dijon mustard which does have a bit of a bite-but wait until you taste the stuff in Paris-yee gads......your nostrils will flair and you will think you just had a bite of wasabi! Dijon mustards are wonderful for condiment usage and perfect for cooking. The mustard available from Maille is ideal for everything.....especially cooking! Remeber that any mustard added to a sauce should be added toward the end of the cooking or it could possibly turn bitter. Happy Cooking!

BAKED MANGOES WITH FRUIT PRESERVES AND HONEY MUSTARD
3 ripe mangoes
3 1/2 ounces of powdered sugar
3 1/2 ounces of thick cream
1 tablespoon Maille Fruit Preserves and Honey Mustard
1 ounce of butter

Peel the mangoes completely.
Slice mangoes into thick pieces.
Place mango in a buttered baking dish or 4 individual ramekins.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Mix the cream with the fruit preserves and honey mustard and pour over mangoes.
Bake for 20-30- minutes. Oven temp: 300 degrees.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

There's got to be a mustard gene, along with the bread, egg, pork, wine, cheese and scarf-tying genes. I love the stuff. I bought a crock of the grainy stuff at LeClerc and carried it home and 18 months later, I have just finished it. Fortunately, I just received the gift of another jar of French mustard (not to be confused with French's).

Maille is already on my list for May.

Christine said...

Hi Jann,
I buy Maille here in California. Is it the same as what you get in Paris? I love it, although it's not very hot. Am I perhaps buying something made for the American market? Nice and informative post, by the way.
Cheers!

Jann said...

There is a definate difference in the fresh mustard. It has much more flavor and zing! And you can specify how much zing you want....different types to choose from.

wheresmymind said...

I don't think I've ever had fresh mustard...hrmmm..I wouldn't turn it down if offered ;)

Katie said...

This shop is always one of my stops in Paris - along with Fauchon (to drool) and Hediards, for hard-to-get spices and teas.

Uh-oh, feeling farsick.... (opposite of homesick)