Sunday, June 03, 2007

Summertime Vegetable Stew


With summer vegetables soon coming into season, enjoy this quick version of rataouille, fragranced with fresh herbs for a refreshing side dish or appetizer.......oh, don't forget a loaf of crusty, hot French bread and your favorite red wine...........
I medium size onion, choppped.
4 large plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped.
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped.
1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped.
1 medium size eggplant, peeled and cut into small chunks.
2 medium size zucchinis, cut into small chunks.
1/4 cup of olive oil.
1 medium garlic, crushed.
salt and pepper to taste.
1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano.
4-5 medium size freshly torn basil leaves.
Using a large saute pan, saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil. Saute until the onion becomes translucent. Add the peppers, eggplant, zucchini. Continue to cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes and the oregano. Sprinkle the fresh basil over the simmering vegetables. Add the salt and pepper to your liking. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serves 6

11 comments:

Ilva said...

Now I'm going to be a bit pushy and suggest you to submit it to this month's The Heart of the Matter event because it's really soo perfect for it! Take a look here: www.heartyeating.blogspot.com
Don't feel that you have to do it if you don't feel like it, I just couldn't resist!

Katie Zeller said...

Your stew sounds like summer in a pot - that copper one is beautiful!
A nice glass of chilled rose would be good...

K and S said...

perfect and simple :)

Anonymous said...

I love the cooking pot or serving container!

Christine said...

Lovely Jann. I'm going to the farmers market this Wednesday. A vegetable stew in on my menu!

Unknown said...

I love the idea of stew in summer.

I love the idea of summer.

Everything looks so good here!

Suz. said...

This sounds really good! :)

Simona Carini said...

One of my favorite dishes ever. My mother calls it bandiera (flag), because white onions, red tomatoes and pepper and green zucchini represent the colors of the Italian flag. And I love the photo!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

oh, this is perfect! And what I really love about it is that it fits in with my "diet" plan...

Everything fresh from the farmer's market, I think I'm going to ask my personal chef (my husband!) to make this for the weekend.
:)
I love your blog...so glad I found it!
Lidy

deedee said...

Mmm, I love ratatouille! I'm with Katie, this would be good with rosé :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Delicious Jann, I can imagine eating it now with some crusty bread and a bottle of rustic red like Rioja.
Amanda