Saturday, July 07, 2007

Bok Choy-White Cabbage



Cultivated in China , we often use this plant in many of our soups and in stir-fries. Bok choy is also classified as a cabbage, but has very little resemblence to the round cabbages found in Western supermarkets. While in China, I will be doing some Chinese cooking, hopefully discovering numerous cooking methods other than how I have traditionally cooked bok choy, mainly boiling and steaming. Seems I have a history of over cooking bok choy and it comes out looking more like wilted lettuce. So, my friends, I am off on another adventure......will be back mid August. Happy Cooking!



Before departing, T.W. Barritt of Culinary Types, tagged me~ T. W. is a remarkable and talented culinary artist and has attended just about every Culinary Institution I am familiar with and more-he hits the road as much as I do !


1. I prefer to talk about "you" than myself~

2. I prefer to keep things simple, details and presentation are very important to me~

3. Sometimes I wonder," how in the world" do all the food bloggers find the time to cook the most incredible recipes, load their prize winning photos, post and read what others have to say~ I spend hours sitting on my butt-I am certain that is why it is growing bigger!

4. I have been traveling since I was thirteen years old. My grandmother took me to Paris and that was the start of my love for this city. One of the things I remember doing on that trip was going to the Boulangerie, buying my baguettes and pretending to be a little French girl. I still think I am, but I'm not. Darn....

5. Who is the oldest blogger, I hope it's not me~

6. I read cookbooks like novels~

7. My husband of 33 years is the best thing that ever happened to me~then my kids!
When I return, I will need to tag some of you, it's only fair! Cheers!

17 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I hope you have the most marvelous of times and Cooking in China! I hope the oldest blogger isn't me and then you can rest easy it isn't you. I can only wish I'd been a 13 year old when I first say Paris, I was over 50!

K and S said...

Have fun!

Katie Zeller said...

Have a wonderful trip!
I think some food bloggers live in an alternate universe where they have 42 hour days!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Lovely photo of boy choy...

I agree with you - how do food bloggers do it? I have a horrible time trying to cook, photograph, post...while trying to maintain the rest of my life. There must be a secret in there somewhere...

Enjoy your trip!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip to China.

For the bok choy, heat the wok with a bit of oil and throw in some minced garlic when wok is hot. When the garlic becomes very fragrant, throw in the bok choy stem first and stir fry a bit before add the leaves. You can add a bit of light soy sauce or oyster sauce to it. When serving it, you can sprinkle some fried onions on top.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

With you on no.3. I love your no.7. Have a wonderful time. Amanda

Simona Carini said...

It sounds like you are off to some interesting adventure: I hope it is even more interesting and exciting than you anticipated.
On a different note, I recently moved the embedded audio player off the main page of my blog, to make sure no visitor had problems with it, and I am wondering if you still hear the bleep-bleep sound you mentioned: let me know.
Have a safe journey.

Ilva said...

Oh, have a nice trip, I do envy you so please enjoy Chine for me too!

Christine said...

Jann,
I'm sure your voyage to China is well underway by now. Have a wonderful time. We'll keep the blogosphere humming along awaiting your return.
I don't know... I may be older than you!
And the way to keep on blogging day in and day out? Take long breaks - like I'm doing right now. I haven't posted since June 29th. My hands are shaking and I've developed a curious twitch under my left eye... :)

Peabody said...

"Sometimes I wonder," how in the world" do all the food bloggers find the time to cook the most incredible recipes, load their prize winning photos, post and read what others have to say~ I spend hours sitting on my butt-I am certain that is why it is growing bigger!"

HA...I had to develop a system just to read all the blogs I read. Which I have been doing a losey job at lately :(

Unknown said...

I just discovered your blog - Love the photography and I love what you had to say about yourself. I agree - I don't know how I manage to do this along with everything else I do in my life!

I travel, I eat, I cook. Happy to have found this blog! Enjoy your trip, and I look forward to future posts.

Unknown said...

p.s. I'm most likely the oldest food blogger. Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE could be my kid! ;-)

Pam said...

Thinking of you...hoping you are having a wonderful experience and happy journey!

deedee said...

Bon vacances!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Jann - with all my travels, I got behind, and am just catching up. I too, prefer to talk about "you!" Hope the China trip is excellent -- if I calculate right, you may be home soon, with lots of great stories and photos!

Christine said...

Hi Jann,
Three days ago you were on my mind; I was wondering when you would be returning home and beginning to blog again, hoping that you'd had a wonderful time on your trip with fabulous photos and stories to share.
Then I ran into Simona at the farmers market and she said much the same thing, so we wondered together for a bit and sent good thoughts your way.
So this little note is to let you know that you're missed, that others are thinking of you, and that we hope you will be returning to blogging soon!
xo Christine

Unknown said...

Just reading some of the posts I missed earlier in the summer, Jann.

Wish I had more time these days! This is always one of my favorite stops.