Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Just For Company Cake



Most of us have our favorite desserts, and this cake could possibly be one of mine! This is the cake most likely to appear when guests arrive in our home. It is easy to prepare, not all from scratch and usually there is not much to put back in the refrig....that to me, is the best indication that everyone enjoyed it!
The recipe was given to me by an aunt on my husbands side of the family. She was the "aunt" that everyone loved and wished they belonged to. Living in the south most of her adult life brought opportunites for vegetable gardens and rows of fruit trees. When visiting , often we would stoll through her garden talking about each plant as if it were a real person.....describing in detail how it struggled for moisture, having no rain for a period of time or the attack of the birds or insects-whatever, there was always a story to be told.
We did have some visitors the other day. While traveling around the globe, we do meet some incredible people and often extend invitations to visit us when Stateside. An Australian couple are here for their "first" visit ........we are sharing some special moments........ and a special cake. P.S. It is loaded with pineapple and coconut~maybe you have a similar recipe?

17 comments:

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I am a big cake fan - this looks luscious! I can almost taste the pineapple and coconut!

Jann said...

t.w.-it is luscious-just want to take a finger and slide the icing right off~thanks for your comment! Hope you are well and I know staying busy~

Simona Carini said...

I like the color too, of both the cake and the icing.

Traveling Mama said...

Hey there, I've really been enjoying reading your blog! But I can only read it around meal times! LOL! The cake looks divine!

K and S said...

sounds like something my mom makes...love it!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Lovely and I see the bits of pineapple! I've not made one like this but I have enjoyed them!

Katie Zeller said...

I can see why not much is left over... looks yummy - and gret photo of it!

Unknown said...

Spectacular! Seems very southern, and I've been wanting to get back to my maternal grandmother's culinary tradition.

For some reason, I still feel blocked around cooking w/ ingredients UnGroom didn't like. Coconut, cheese, olivers.

Jann, I'd like to mention your blog in mine. Is it okay to include one of your pictures in my post, as long as it's credited to you and linked to your original post?

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Oh, that is lovely...I can see why it's just for company...I'd eat the whole thing by myself otherwise!

Jann said...

Simona~the color reminds me of something I might eat in Hawaii!

Jann said...

Traveling Mama~Oh, thanks for stopping by! I need to locate your sight-
K&S~I would think with all the coconut and pineaapple in this, that it originated in Hawaii!
Katie~it really goes fast, thank goodness!

Jann said...

Molly B~ Thank you for your wonderful comment! Where is your grandmother from...the South?

Jann said...

Caffinated Cowgirl~ thanks for visiting!I think I would be a blimp if I ate this more than twice a year.....a bit of one now, i dare say! It is loaded with sugar!

L Vanel said...

My decision is made. We have a guest coming tonight and a cake it is. But I don't have a favorite cake. I love them all.

Peabody said...

I think my aunt makes something similar to this. It is a very tasty cake.

Unknown said...

OMG - this makes me want to dive right in. My grandmother made cakes for company - and for years I lost the taste for them. But lately...

Anonymous said...

I really shouldn't come here when I haven't eaten... ;)