Sunday, September 23, 2007

Last from the garden~Cabbage




Many years ago, let's see, how many are we talking about ?........18, oh my ! This recipe was passed out at one of our regular Bunko games. The ingredients were so fresh and colorful... it seemed to be the perfect salad to complement all the other dishes that were served that evening. This particular salad is one that extra ingredients can be added or even taken away.........I have added mandarin oranges and grilled chicken. The additions are endless!

Lots of my friends do not enjoy cooking with cabbage. Maybe it was something their mothers made them eat when they were kids..... or the smell that escapes while it is cooking........I love it! Seems as though it was always the last veggie taken from the garden. Maybe we were waiting for it to grow even bigger.
Well, the growing season is practically finished now. Summer is over...where did it go? I have been on the road most of the summer and now am enjoying some comfortable down time at home in Florida. Looking very forward to read about what wonderful and exciting foods bloggers will write about this Fall~


Asian Cabbage Salad


1 large head of cabbage,chopped.

8 green onions, chopped.

2 packages of Asian Noodles, toasted, usually found in soup packages.Crumble.

3/4 cup of sliced almonds, toasted.

4 Tablespoons of sesame seeds, toasted.


Toss all of these ingredients together. ( It is easier to toast the ingredients together in a large baking tray. Place under the broiler for just a few minutes until light brown. Watch carefully and stir.)


Dressing

1/2 to 3/4 cup of vegetable oil.

6 Tablespoons of rice vinegar.

4 Tablespoons of sugar- try the Spenda!

1/2 - 1 Tablespoon of pepper. Salt to taste.


Shake all ingredients well and toss in salad. Toss with care!

16 comments:

K and S said...

ooh this salad sounds so healthy and delicious.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Beautiful cabbage photo!

Peabody said...

Wow! That came from your garden...it's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Stunning! I love that sort of salad, and will try this one. I will be on the road myself, Jann, going to conferences and summits over the next two weeks. I will make this when I return!

Betty Carlson said...

I'm a cabbage lover too. I always think it's a pain to grate or chop, though.

Welcome back!

Katie Zeller said...

Perfect cabbage! I just realized I went through the entire summer with only one head of cabbage! Of course, they do last a bit for 2 people.
I love the smell of cabbage cooking... with a bit of ham, perhaps...

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Welcome back, Jann - that photo would make anyone fall in love with cabbage!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

That looks and sounds wonderful!
I love cabbage in salad. I prefer to have a cabbage knocking around in the fridge than lettuce which always seems to wilt before I'm ready to eat it.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
My Mother makes this salad and i love it! She uses toasted seasame oil.

Simona Carini said...

I love the photos! And I love cabbage too. This recipe sounds delightfully crunchy.

Anonymous said...

remind me to give you chef michaels red cabbage recipe , i cant wait to see you!!!, your most adoring sister

Jann said...

k&S.Thanks so much! Good to hear from you!

Jann said...

Lydia-hard to find a good cabbage these days-i had to tear away many leaves~those are the large ones i like to use for decorations!

Jann said...

Peabody~ This cabbage did not come from my garden-I sure wish it did! I miss having a garden here in Florida. I envy all those bloggers who can run outside their kitchen door and pick produce! Do you have a garden?

Christine said...

Jann, Your photos are fabulous. Especially that head of cabbage. And what a clever recipe. One I've got to try soon.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Love it Jann! Yes, I make one very close to this and it's funny how different mine looks from yours - probably just the way we cut the cabbage.
That is a really beautiful cabbage!